If you are into your premium skincare products, you might have noticed that a new ingredient is being added to many of the world’s most popular brands. From creams to oils, CBD is being added as an active ingredient to bring balance to our skin. It is a natural ingredient that comes from the cannabis plant.
What is CBD?
CBD is short for cannabidiol and is extracted from hemp (a type of cannabis plant). Unlike its cousin THC (tetrahydrocannabinol), CBD is legal in the EU and UK and will not get you high. Instead, CBD may have balancing properties. In addition to CBD, many skincare products have other ingredients which may balance and hydrate your skin.
The hype around CBD skincare has also reached an extensive list of celebrities who endorse the compound for its potential to balance them. Many of these A-list celebs are now spokespeople for CBD brands wanting to spread awareness of natural skincare ingredients. So, without further ado, let’s have a look at why CBD skincare is set to be the next big trend and why it has got so many of us so excited.
What Is The CBD Skincare Trend?
When we refer to the trend of CBD in skincare, we are not suggesting it is a “fad” like an unfortunate outfit worn by your parents twenty years ago. We are talking about the progressive direction in which the skincare industry is moving towards, and embracing the active properties of CBD.
CBD skincare is also trending all over social media and in many online dermatology articles. Many people are talking about the balance it may bring, and some of those advocating for CBD skincare are famous worldwide. With celebrities being scrutinised for how they look and photographed at every opportunity, they pay special attention to their skin appearance.
Here are some of the most well-known celebrities who are applauding CBD and who are endorsing all that CBD skincare has to offer:
- Kourtney Kardashian and Kim Kardashian – When it comes to being known for their outspokenness and style, the Kardashian family springs to mind. Sisters Kim Kardashian and Kourtney Kardashian have certainly not shied away from telling the world about how much they love CBD products. In fact, Kim Kardashian is such a huge fan that she even hosted a CBD themed baby-shower. Kourtney Kardashian has gone as far as to include CBD skincare into her own self-care and beauty routines.
- Gwyneth Paltrow – Apart from being a famous actor, Gweneth Paltrow has also successfully launched herself into the beauty and self-care industry. With the launch of her lifestyle brand, “Goop”, she has brought natural and premium products to the public mainstream. On the advocacy side of things, Gweneth has been particularly vocal about her use of CBD.
- Jennifer Aniston – Many admire Jennifer Aniston for her graceful style and seemingly effortless natural beauty, so it is no surprise that she has a lot of influence when it comes to backing the effectiveness of skincare products. Jennifer Aniston has been open about her use of CBD products and has spoken at length concerning the soothing properties of CBD skincare.
It is not just female celebrities who have been publicly praising CBD for its natural potential. Musician John Legend has been known to share his views on the hemp-derived product. John Legend even refers to himself as a “CBD believer”!
Why Use CBD For Your Balance?
Our skin goes through a lot every day, and it has a vital role to play in our lives. The skin protects us from external elements and helps regulate body temperature. It also permits the sensations of touch, cold, and heat. Our skin has three layers:
- The epidermis – This is the outermost layer of skin that provides a waterproof barrier to the elements and creates our skin tone. Our skin’s unique colour is created by special cells called melanocytes. They produce the pigment melanin.
- The dermis – It is located just beneath the epidermis. The dermis contains strong connective tissue, sweat glands, and hair follicles.
- The hypodermis – This is a deeper subcutaneous tissue that consists of connective tissue and fat.
The skin is also the largest organ of our bodies. Depending on your body size, it takes up an area of almost two square metres on average. Although much of our skin is covered up by clothing, some parts, such as our faces, are often out in the open. We need to pay particular attention to our faces, and do all we can to look after our skin.
One area which is often forgotten on our faces is our lips. The skin on our lips is subject to the stresses of daily life with no break from the elements. Using a high-quality balm, such as The Calm Balm, will nourish and protect your lips. It will also strengthen the skin barrier on your lips and boost collagen production.
CBD skincare has hydrating and antioxidative properties, which our skin needs after spending all day protecting us from the elements. It may also help with providing some much needed soothing and balancing effects on the skin. For those who are focused on keeping the skin looking supple and young, CBD skincare’s ingredients have also been found to help prevent the signs of ageing.
Is CBD Skincare Safe For All Skin Types?
When considering which skincare products to use, many of us have concerns about whether they will be suitable for our skin type. There are many different skin types, such as oily, dry, highly sensitive, acne-prone, and many more. Some of us have a mixture of skin types, and when combination skin is on the cards, the skin in the centre of the face (known as the “t-zone”) is often oily, while the other parts of the face have dry skin- presenting an even bigger puzzle for us to solve with skincare! Face masks, such as The Dream Mask, are excellent at providing instant soothing hydration.
In addition to combinations of skin types, some people also have to manage sensitive skin and be very careful about which skincare products they use. Those with sensitive skin may
have standard levels of natural oil in their skin, but they react badly to common
ingredients found in mainstream mass-produced skincare products. Unfortunately,
many of these cheaper skincare products are limited in their suitability for the full range of skin types out there.
Dry skin, which is also prone to acne, may find balance from lighter products, such as a serum. CBD infused face serums, such as The Glow Serum, are fantastic for evening skin tone and balancing the skin’s natural barrier.
If your skin is oily, CBD skincare products could impact the balance of oily skin by hydrating your face, which may result in more regulated oil production. It can also reduce the number of your pores clogging, which could avert the acne flare-ups that often develop due to excess oil.
CBD skincare is suitable for all kinds of skin, as it interacts well with most people. Still, as with all new skincare products you try, it is recommended to do a patch test before liberally applying anything all over your face. If you do experience an uncommon allergic reaction, wash the product off immediately.
Skincare Does Not Stop At CBD
Although CBD is a star ingredient in many high-quality skincare products, there are other components that can be included to provide additional value. At MANTLE, for example, we have a list of hero ingredients that can be found in our CBD skincare line. The following ingredients complement CBD to create a versatile skincare range:
- Bakuchiol – Many individual experiences have shown that bakuchiol may have a variety of anti-ageing effects for the skin. For some who use bakuchiol, it has the ability to reduce the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines. It can also refine skin texture, help balance firmness, and even out skin tone. Bakuchiol is an excellent option for those with sensitive skin, as it may help to soothe skin.
- Bisabolol – If your face has been hit hard by external elements, bisabolol can improve the appearance of damaged skin by moisturising and helping to balance suppleness. If you like to focus on anti-ageing properties in your skincare, look for products with bisabolol, as it prevents signs of ageing with antioxidant effects.
- Hyaluronic acid – This is a well-known ingredient in many beauty products. Hyaluronic acid has many skin effects, especially when it comes to anti-ageing properties, as it is a champion at reducing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. It is also great for acne-prone skin. Overall, hyaluronic acid is a beneficial ingredient to have in your skincare products, and will help keep your skin not only looking healthier, but also feeling more hydrated.
- Liquorice root extract – Within this fantastic natural ingredient, there is a compound known as glycyrrhizin. This compound is what gives liquorice root extract its balancing and versatile properties. When added to skincare products, it can be used to effect and balance your skin. The liquorice root extract is considered a rich source of antioxidants that is great for skin health, and it also offers anti-ageing and skin lightening effects.
- Niacinamide – When niacinamide is contained within a skincare product, it can help balance cells in the skin while also shielding them from environmental stresses. Our skin has a battle against damaging external forces every day, such as toxins, sunlight, and pollution. Niacinamide has been found to affect acne-prone skin. People have often anecdotally reported that after using niacinamide, they have noticed less acne and improved skin texture.
- Shea Butter – This may set alarm bells for people with oily skin, but shea butter is actually a zero on the comedogenic scale. The comedogenic scale measures how likely skincare ingredients are to clog your pores, and it ranges from zero to five. This means that as rich and luxurious shea butter is, it does not clog the pores, as it is rated a zero. When melted down and mixed with other face oil components, such as CBD, it can temper the ingredient so it does not feel so thick. Shea butter has high concentrations of fatty acids and vitamins, making it an ideal cosmetic ingredient for softening skin. It has also been discovered to have balancing properties. So when using shea butter on your face, it can tone, condition, and soothe your skin.
- Vitamin E – If you are someone who spends a lot of time outdoors, using a skincare product that contains vitamin E is a must. Research into vitamin E has shown it may be beneficial for dry skin that spends a lot of time in the sun. It can also work as an antioxidant, making it effective at tackling the skin-level results of toxins in our environment, such as pollution.
When the above ingredients are added to CBD skincare products, it can provide the skin with a natural balance. Research is a must when selecting products for your skincare routine. Pay close attention to what you are putting on your face and where the CBD was sourced. MANTLE only uses premium CBD extract from Switzerland, which is organically sun-grown, hand-harvested, and cold-extracted. All MANTLE skincare products are clean, vegan, and Swiss-made.
A Closing Thought
CBD is set to continue to be a balancing ingredient that beauty brands will continue to rave about for years to come.
Suppose you have been avoiding CBD-based products simply because they derive from hemp plants. In that case, you have been unnecessarily missing out on a veritable host of balancing solutions for your skincare routine. To alleviate concerns surrounding CBD, the easiest thing to do is learn more about it, and perhaps even give it a try- your skin will thank you.
As hemp became legalised and THC levels regulated across the globe, CBD has fast become one of the most sought after skincare ingredients on the market. From Jay-Z to Martha Stewart, celebrities are turning to the CBD for its balancing properties. So, if it’s good enough for the A-listers, why not incorporate a bit of CBD into your skincare routine?